Monday, July 21, 2008

2 Years

Can you believe it has been two years since we found out Max was sick. 2 Years ago, yesterday. Things have definitely started to normalize as I barely even thought about the anniversary. It is a bit sad that it will forever be linked with Max's birthday. If that wasn't the case, it is possible that I would have missed it all together. But, I suspect I will always look at 2 days after his birthday with a bit of sadness and trepidation.

2 years. It feels like just yesterday and yet it feels like a lifetime ago. So much has happened. Max has grown so much. He isn't a toddler anymore. He is a boy. A fun, funny, frustrating at time, interesting boy who gets much joy out of life and is, for the most part, really nice to be around. We are so lucky. I almost never forget how lucky we are.

Max's birthday was pretty much a non event this year. I worked last week and was just too tired to do much. We made such a big deal out of last years. What a difference. I am sure Max wishes it had been a bigger deal, but it was nice for it to be mellow. We tried not to overdo for him. He still sees the FedEx or UPS truck and assumes it has something for him. Every package must be for him, and he often expresses his deep displeasure when it contains items for other people. I remember asking someone how you got through something like this without ending up with a very spoiled child and she told me to worry about it later. I guess we have actually done pretty well, considering. He is pretty good about sharing and is polite to most people (the big exception often being me and Josh, but I guess that is fairly normal). He is a good kid.

2 Years and the only signs now are a couple of scars from his port, four from bone marrow biopsies that probably only I notice, and a child who insists on wearing the ankle "bracelet" from the hospital. Oh, and two kids who are amazingly comfortable around medical personnel. We are so lucky.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realise it was so long since we were in touch, but I guess it wasn't long after Max was born. I had no idea he had been ill - I am going to go back and read your blog and see what's been happening.
I didn't even know you had another child so it has been a long time!

Bev