Friday, January 25, 2008

A Busy Day, A Happy Day

We just got home from a very busy day. Max had his monthly appointment. It was actually supposed to be last week, but I had double booked him for an appointment with Dr. Ebb and also with his pediatrician, and believe it or not, it is harder to get an appointment with his pediatrician, so I changed the Clinic visit. This is a pretty big deal for me as usually I am very anxious for his blood test. I have to admit that I got anxious coming up to this day, especially because he has a cold, but it was a great appointment. We started the day with a trip to the Museum of Science. I had these grand plans of parking at MGH and walking over to the Museum, but it was bitterly cold, so we just drove to both. It was a great combination. The kids love the museum and so do I. It is so nice to be able to go there. We managed to time it really well, too. Dr. Ebb said Max looked great, despite his cold. He said that in a couple more months, we can move to every two months. We left right after the blood draw, which Max tolerated much better than last month. He didn't exactly jump with joy, but he didn't kick and scream this time. I think a few more times and he will be accustomed to the draw in his arm again. We went to the caf to buy pizza on our way out the door and as we were getting into the elevator, Dr. Ebb ran up and handed me the results. I am pretty sure he came to find us before we left as that was all he had in his hands. The results were better than I could have ever imagined. I actually expected to see a dip because of the cold, but his platelets were 176, a number I never expected to see. All of his counts were in the normal range. I am so happy.

WBC: 7.9
HCT:35.5
HGB:13.1
PLT: 176
ANC: 4100

They ran a retic count, but I don't have the results for that yet. It is possible that Dr. Ebb will call me with that tonight, but I didnt' specifically ask him to, so I am not going to expect it.

We go back at the end of Feb. I am going to try to combine the museum and hospital again. I am really worn out, but it was fun, plus it was nice for it to be something other than just a trip to get a blood draw. It made it something to look forward to.

No comments: