Sunday, March 25, 2007

A Scary Weekend

Lauren was sick last weekend. She ran a fever of close to 103 for three days straight (though it went down with Tyelonol) and still had a fever on the fourth day. All last week, we worried that Max would get sick, but he didn't. Saturday morning, as I was getting ready to head to Boston for my Girl's Weekend, I said that I was relieved that he had avoided it. Famous last words. Max came down with a fever around dinner time on Saturday night. Josh realized things were off and checked his temp and it was 101.5, so he called me and then called the pedi hem/onc on call, who was one of the doctors that we know well. She arranged for a room in the peds ward and Josh dropped Lauren off and a friend (our savior)'s house and headed in. They took blood to check for viruses and infection, gave him some Tylenol and planned to keep him at least 24 hours.

He woke up feeling good on Sunday morning, so they decided to release him early, but as they were doing the paperwork, he woke from a nap saying he needed to throw up, which he did, and I realized his fever was back. They watched him to make sure he wasn't getting dehydrated and finally sent us home around 9PM. His fever was back and high (102.6) by then, but they gave more Tylenol and you could see that he was feeling better before he fell asleep on the car ride home. He is sleeping now. We have to check in with ped hem/onc tomorrow. I suspect that despite the vomitting he has the same thing that Lauren had. Knowing that makes me worry a bit less, but I do hope he recovers quickly.

His platelets were down to 92 on Friday night. Everything else was really wacky (WBC 7.1, high ANC, low HCT) but they think those are because of whatever he is fighting.

I will update this tomorrow.

No comments: