Sunday, July 01, 2007

Max's Fur

We go into MGH tomorrow for another CBC and checkup, but I wanted to share this. Because of the cyclosporene Max took for 6 months, he is very hairy. He has hair on his arms, legs, back, neck, etc. He even had a little mustache. Since going off the meds, we have seen a definite decrease in the hair. It is such a nice sign for us, to see him starting to look "normal." However, I am not sure how Max feels about this. He likes his "fur" as he calls it. Especially the hair on his arms. He does not realize this is different from other boys his age (got to love being 3) and, to be honest, I don't think it would bother him if he did realize it. Now that we are out with other children, some of the kids have commented on it, either to their parents or to Max. One little boy even asked Max why he had hair on his arms. Max's reply: "Because boys have hair on their arms." The other boy (5 years old) looked at his hairless arm with great concern, wondering why he didn't have hair. It was everything I could do not to laugh.

I am very grateful that Max is going through this at such a young age, as he is young enough to just accept everything he has gone through. He has never been angry or frustrated or scared. He has faced everything with a positive attitude, though he isn't very excited about the blood draws these days. But, he still seems to face it all as an adventure. He still loves to play doctor and told me that he wants to be a "blood test doctor" when he grows up. I tried teaching him the word hematologist, but he told me it was too hard. :)

It will be interesting to see how much he remembers of all of this later in life. He has an incredible memory. It will be also interesting to see what he thinks of it all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How nice to see a picture of you :) You look so happy snuggling with your boy. I am impressed with the baby carrying - I carried my youngest for a little while but she got too heavy way before she was 3.