Saturday, February 03, 2007

Settling In

It seems so strange to me that I rarely have anything to post these days. Sometimes, I have thoughts that I consider writing down, but the kids keep me hopping and often it just doesn't happen. Life is starting to feel normal again.

We visited Papa and Grandma Lyd last weekend. We last visited them over Thanksgiving, when Max's numbers had been at their lowest. When we stopped at a rest area, we didn't let Max go in, but instead had him use the potty we brought with us. We worried constantly. This trip was so different. Max was able to go into the rest area (it was almost empty) which was a good thing because it was sub zero outsite. He had a great time looking at the maps and things in the visitor area. We opted not to go out to lunch, but we ran around in the snow and I didn't worry about him falling. He had more energy, though I can see that he needs to get out more. He and I are both out of shape. But, these days he gets out of breath rather than runs out of energy. It was a lovely visit.

We are starting to have friends over again. It has been so nice for both me and the kids. Max's social skills need a bit of polishing, but it is hard to tell how much of that is related to not seeing people and how much is just him being three. He is definitely enjoying seenig people, though. So is Lauren. For that matter, so am I. It is nice to talk to other adults who are not in the medical profession again. The one who really needs more socialization is Cisco, who behaves terribly when company comes to visit. I have been crating him, but am starting to work with him when people come over.

The only things that Max still can't do is go to the grocery store, mall, etc, and return to school. He keeps asking about school, and for some reason has started asking if the doctor said it was okay for him to go to the grocery store. I am not sure why this has come up all of a sudden. Perhaps he over heard something? I don't really miss grocery shopping without a 3 year old, though I do miss the ability to do whenever I need to.

It snowed today for the first time this winter. (Well, we have had a dusting here and there.) The kids are outside playing. I am going to go join them. If the snow stays, maybe we can go sledding. I didn't think we would be able to do that this winter, but he can. We are happy.

No comments: